Saturday, April 9, 2011

A to Z Challenge: Harmonica

PREVIOUSLY

"Well, the letter is addressed to a Mrs. Rafferty, and it mentions her daughter's engagement party." Athena paused. "Seriously? She had a party because she got engaged? Did she get presents?"

"Athena!" her mother chastised her. Athena rolled her eyes and went on.

"I never heard of a Mrs. Rafferty, but that doesn't mean anything, according to David's mother!" She looked at the diary again. "I really need to read this, to get more information. There has to be a reason that it's here."

"Not really," Taryn answered. "It could have been put in the boxcar years ago, shortly after it was finished, and no one noticed it before now." She was about to continue when the shopkeeper, the one Athena's mother was fond of, pulled out a harmonica and started playing it. There was no obvious reason to do so. There wasn't any sort of dramatic moment that required music to point out how dramatic it was. There wasn't any long silence that needed filling. The man simply pulled it out and started playing. The young people looked at him like he was extremely odd but tolerable, and resumed their discussion of the diary and the mystery.

While they talked, they were also all walking -- toward town. It was a weird parade of people, cows, and a harmonica accompaniment. The people were also all hoping -- that the cows would adopt anyone but them. Most of them had their hopes met -- those who didn't happen to live in the nearby apple orchard. David and his mother were not nearly as happy as everyone else.

David's mother found her way next to Athena. "He used to have a wife, you know." She nodded to the harmonica playing shopkeeper.

"Him?" Athena looked at her mother's love interest.

"Yep. And kids."

"What happened to them?"

NEXT

9 comments:

  1. An excellent write again, you sure have the talent for writing.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you casually write in these hints about what's going on, but don't give anything away immediately. I agree with Yvonne. You do have a talent for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both of you! :-) I love how we're all getting to know new (to us) writers!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. His writing is very smooth, I love Athena.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look foward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe his harmonica scared them all away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought a sort of Pied Piper until the last bit of information.
    Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so tempted to put that after reading your comment, Angela! I thought of that, Giggles! I was going to say something in today's about that, and how Athena liked the cows better than the story's rats, but I forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this read. By the way I love jazz harmonica

    ReplyDelete