Thursday, April 14, 2011

A to Z Challenge: Legal

PREVIOUSLY

"Why did they go through all that? What kind of danger could being born to my father put me in? And ..."

"First things first," the Old Man cautioned. He poured her more tea and made her a sandwich.

"One state passed this law. They called it SB1070. From what I understand, it included provisions that if someone couldn't prove they were in the country legally, they could be arrested. Now if you're born in a country, you don't expect to have to carry around proof. There was a huge outcry. The problem was that a lot of the outcry came from normal people. A lot of elected officials, on the other hand, saw this as a great opportunity. They passed similar laws, but attached them to things like bills for tax cuts or bills that fund education -- things that people wanted."

"But it doesn't make sense."

"It gave people a chance to get rid of their enemies. Don't like your neighbor? Claim he's illegal. Want to run for office? Claim the incumbent is illegal. Once they're arrested, you get their job or whatever it was that motivated you in the first place. Those two men, the ones you just found out about, they worked for the government. So did your father."

"My name is Greek. Wasn't my father Greek?"

"No. Your name is just a Plan B name. They wanted to name you Araceli."

"Araceli?"

"Yes. It's your abuela's name. Your grandmother. You're Columbian."

"Well, if I was in danger because ... why? My father had a Columbian name? But he stuck around until I was 8. He couldn't have been in that much danger."

"Ahh." Old Man paused and put the cups in the sink. He spoke with his back to her. "That wasn't your father."

NEXT

5 comments:

  1. I too think it intriguing, loved the read.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...I'm laughing because the first word that came to my mind after reading this post was "intriguing"...honestly, it was...I'm not copying, honest!! I want to read more and hear the whole story. Found you from the A-Z Challenge, I’m already following you on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a tease! Loving this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so what happens next? Sounds like a promising story!
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete