Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday Blog Visit: Tayari Jones, Author of Silver Sparrow

Good morning, friends! I hope you had a nice week, and now you're settled in with your coffee and cookies (or biscuits) for another visit to one of our neighbors. Tayari Jones is another author I "met" through Twitter. I followed her posts, and sat up when she mentioned we could read the first chapter of her book, Silver Sparrow, for free. I love reading, and I love free.

And...I loved the first chapter of this book! It is at the top of my purchase list for payday (well, along with new eyeglasses). It's not just a book that looks awesome; it's a book that's touched a lot of people, and shines a light on a hidden population. Imagine being a Silver Sparrow yourself and finally reading about a character whose life is like yours!

So naturally, I checked out Tayari's blog as well. I will pretend I'm not jealous. Part of her blog is upcoming signings and book tours. (Unfortunately, she won't be here.) She has other entries as well. My favorite as a reader is her post Family, Community, Reading, and Joy. What an awesome experience! The beginning of the blog shows photos of the hats, as well.

As a writer, I think my favorite post is this one. My writing life isn't going to match hers or any of the other writers I like, admire, envy, know, have heard of, haven't heard of yet, etc. My life is mine. Mine currently includes being a full-time fourth grade teacher, and spending at least half my summer trying to be an even better one. But I can create the writing life that I want; that's what counts!

Stop over and check out her blog today!

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful post to read I will certainly pop over to read her blog when life is less hetic.

    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am positive that you will enjoy Silver Sparrow just as much as I did. It is a book that will caputure your heart and test all of your emotions. Skip the eyeglasses and "pick up" Silver Sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Signings and book tours would be nice wouldn't they. Someday we'll get there.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. The glasses won, but I still may get the book in the next week or two. I'm dying to read it!

    Signings and book tours would be awesome! Or imagine being on a talk show, talking about our books! :-)

    ReplyDelete